There are a number of factors that drive organizations towards a mass migration to the AWS cloud. They often include the ending of a data centre lease, major capital depreciation, strategic planning decisions, and more. But mass migration – moving an abundant number of applications and resources – can be a data- and labour-intensive project. To ensure the best outcome, you need to approach the process properly and make sure it’s executed and managed effectively and efficiently.
What is Cloud Mass Migration?
A mass migration involves moving 500 or more applications (sometimes several thousand instances and appliances) to the AWS cloud over the course of approximately two years. The transformation process can represent a whole-scale change to a business’s foundational components, including its infrastructure and operating model.
Common Cloud Mass Migration Challenges
Frequently encountered issues include:
- Lack of accurate discovery tools, processes, and details related to operating models, security and compliance, software licensing, IT governance, on-premise costs, and more.
- Inefficient coordination and communication across large teams composed of business, application, development, operations, and partner participants.
- Hurdles encountered while discovering, transforming, and deploying complex sets of workload components resulting in the “hybrid trap” where the highest complexity application migrations are deferred towards the end of the migration sequence
- Lack of automated techniques for migration and management of all workloads.
- Shortfall in operational management strategy – in-sourced or outsourced or a combination thereof – for the migrated workloads.
- Insufficient WAN bandwidth to support ongoing operations and parallel server and data centre migrations.
Not anticipating and dealing with these challenges can lead to increased costs, longer time to value, and persistent inaction.
Are You Ready for a Mass Migration to the AWS Cloud?
If you’re considering a large-scale migration to the AWS cloud, make sure you have:
- A focused objective including a well defined, large number of applications (or instances) and a clear timeline.
- Strong executive sponsorship to align all business requirements and stakeholders.
- A cloud-first strategy that will incentivize team members to follow your lead.
- Existing production AWS workloads including experienced, trained AWS architecture and support teams and Enterprise Support.
- Clear security and compliance plans that will support your organization’s change.
The key to a successful migration is properly architecting, executing, managing, and automating a comprehensive, agile plan. Leveraging the AWS ecosystem – including Advanced Consulting Partners and Managed Service Partners – will help you streamline the process and ensure you receive ongoing support to help you make the most of the AWS cloud.
TMethods’ mission is to enable digital innovation on the AWS Cloud. iTMethods is an all-in AWS Advanced Consulting & Managed Services Provider offering a suite of Cloud Subscription and SaaS Offerings that help teams of all sizes execute their digital business & IT priorities.
Read more from iTMethods